Sunday, July 10, 2011

Switzerland for a day

Yesterday, we had a "tutor outing" and went to Switzerland. It was only a hour away. It was BEAUTIFUL!!!

We woke up early to catch the 7:50am train... but that didn't work. Two tutors got there late and we missed the train by, like, 20 seconds. But that was okay, because as we were walking, looking for a cafe for breakfast, we found a store we need to go back to that had ADORABLE flats for 15€. We will go back on Monday.

We had espresso and "toast" (ham and cheese sandwich) at this great little cafe and then walked back to the train station in time
to catch our train at 8:50am. The ride from a Milan suburb to Chiaso, Switzerland only took about an hour! It was so beautiful and the train was nice and air conditioned... Have I mentioned yet how hot it is here? And we're getting a heatwave from Africa next week? Tempurature is supposed to be in the 40s all week. Eww. But I digress.

Once in Chiaso, we bought our tickets to go to the lake (Lugano, Switzerland). We had some time to kill so we went to the train station's mini grocery store and stocked up on lunchables for a picnic. And so we were off to Lugano!


What a beautiful place. The train ride alone was breathtaking! We really outed ourselves as tourists, but that's okay. Once in Lugano, we were completely blown away by its beauty. We couldn't stop taking pictures. It took us a good 20 mins to get from the train station to (what I'm going to refer to as) the center of town (which would have taken normal people about 5 minutes). Everything was just so photographable.

So we walked to "the center of town" where we bought postcards and stamps so that we could mail out some stuff ASAP. I think it'll be fun for whoever I sent my postcards to. They'll receive some proof of my being there for the day. Oh and guess what was happening there? Some sort of Harley Davidson motorcycle show! There were some gorgeous bikes on display. I'm sorry, I still can't get over how beautiful it was! And the group I was with really made it a lot of fun. We had a lovely picnic by the water and then wandered around for a while, taking in the sites. We finally ended up taking a nap, in a park, under a tree. We were there for 40 mins, and I'm sure I could hear people laughing at us, but I don't care. It was so hot and our feet hurt and we were tired... and we were nice a refreshed afterward! Then we did something that you really can't do anywhere else in the world, especially not Montreal... We went shopping at H&M, hahaha. I bought a cute top. It's a little snug, but I think I'll fit in it perfectly by the end of the summer.

After Lugano, we went to this outlet mall in Mendrisio, Switzerland
called Foxtown. There are outlets for Puma, Guess, Pepe Jeans, Versace, Valentino, Fendi and a ton of others that I just can't afford, outlet prices or not. It was nice to look at! And I had awesome gelato (chocolate and raspberry).

On our way home, I bought THE CUTEST cow mug... it made me so happy. I also bought a little bag of Toblerone for my host family. All in all, it was a good day!

Today, the tutors and I met the two new tutors coming to our camp. They seem super nice and we're all on the same page about just about everything. I'm so glad we're all getting along so well! Through an ACLE (or just our camp director) misunderstanding, the two new tutors have a private apartment (since everyone here was informed that they are a couple). This works out nicely, though, as we are planning a movie night at their place. We planned all our songs for the week today (warm-up and cool down) as well as all our Olympic activities and any other games we want to plan.

After the meeting, my host family took me to Milan to shop. And guess what? I bought a new bag! It's a good size, it's a nice colour and, best of all, it's not something I'd find in Montreal. The camp assistant (who's super cool, by the way) has one in red and I commented on it yesterday, saying I was looking for something similar. When I saw it in pink in a store today, I didn't even hesitate to buy it. And it was on sale! Woo! So, she should be flattered that I'm copying her good taste.

Anyway, I need to be at the camp tomorrow at 8am, so I should probably go to sleep now...

Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment