Sunday, April 25, 2010

Cleaning my room, part four

It's been exactly one month since my last "cleaning my room" blog. I haven't done much since then: in fact I think the lack of doing anything made my room regress a few steps. Whatever. Today, I'm finishing the left side of bed, possibly starting on the right side. One of the big things I've noticed though is that I seem to have A LOT of books (and no where to put them). Textbooks, novels, cookbooks... just a lot of books with no home other than on the floor or in a drawer or on my dresser.

Along with cleaning my room, I need to somehow find the time to clean my bookshelf in the computer room. That bookshelf holds my painted ceramic pieces (which are really really crappy and I don't understand why my parents display them so proudly), all my books from before I graduated high school (as in, my La courte échelle series, my R. L. Stine series, my The Cat Who series and my Bruce Coville series), and a couple of CEGEP textbooks. I don't really want to get rid of all this (except the ceramic, it's really crappy), but I don't want to leave it all there either: there's no room. Maybe I should get a bookshelf to go in here when I'm done cleaning? One to match the new bed my parents will buy me? That might work...

I do have some shelves in here, but they serve no purpose, really. The top two shelves are too high for me to reach without a step-stool and the other three house my stuffed animals, my dictionaries/MELS info, my CDs and (surprise, surprise) MORE BOOKS! I never thought I'd say this, but maybe I have too many books?

At least I've read them all. Some, I've read multiple times. And I'm a reader, so it's normal, right? It's a sign of intelligence, isn't it, to have read so many books? Not all of them (read: a very small selection) would be considered "high literature," but I learned in my Sci-Fi class this semester that "literature" is what you make it, not what a critic tells you. A book does not have less value because it doesn't fall into a specific category, every book has something to offer.

K, well, I guess I should clean?

Ugh.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck! I have to get on with cleaning my loft too :/ Definitely my least favourite activity...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You inspired me to clean my room today too! ... sort of. I need more hangers before I can put all my sweaters away.

    As a temporary fix, why not put the books or other stuff you don't need very often on the high shelves, if there's space?

    ReplyDelete