Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Cleaning my room, part two

For Pete's sake, how the HELL did I let my room get to this state? This is terrible! If I were underage, I'm sure my mother would have been reported to Youth Protection, although my room's messiness is no where near her fault. You may have dust bunnies, but I have dust godzillas (did I already make that joke? No matter, still true). Last time, I attacked my night table, which was an incredibly cathartic experience. I relived some high school moments when looking at photos of my then best friend (who is currently not even in my wide circle of casual acquaintances). I was able to part with old love notes from three different ex-boyfriends. I found a bunch of expired painkillers (you'd think I had a problem!) and parted with $100+ of useless old face creams. AND I cleaned off about 3 feet of dust (okay, I'm exaggerating, but it was still a lot).

Today, I started on my long dresser (I have two, a long and a short one). Guess what? MORE CRAP! I haven't finished it yet (took a break to transfer coins from my Carnival Cruise cocktail glass to my actual piggy bank), but I've already got half a bag of garbage and half of bag of clothing to donate to charity. I've also found more jewelry than I know what to do with. Not good jewelry, not gold I can send in to those TV commercials to get instant cash, noooo... crappy jewelry that I've accumulated over the years. Jewelry that I'm not sure why (or when) I bought and that may or may not be tarnished beyond recognition. Jeebus, when did I have all this money to spend on garbage?

I wish it was the kind of garbage that people would pay for on Ebay or something... But this is just crap and it would probably cost more to ship than someone would be willing to pay for it. So, I throw it out. Or give it to charity. Or offer it to my friends...

I hate cleaning, but it needs to be done. I'm going to Italy for 5 weeks or so this summer and my mom will most likely throw everything out (and she would be full within her right to do so) while I'm gone if I don't clean up.

3 comments:

  1. That last sentence had me rolling around laughing. Are you sure you don't mean my mom?

    I could totally have a look at your old unwanted jewelry sometime, and if there are salvageable beads and things I could try repurposing them into something new!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are OFFICIALLY not a hoarder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do have a lot of beaded pieces... Once I sort through everything, I'll send you some pics.

    I never thought I was, but THANKS for the vote of confidence on not being a hoarder :P

    ReplyDelete