Saturday, March 20, 2010

How to look good, always.

Obviously, I'm not perfect. Let's not get into every reason (we don't have forever, here), we'll just address my physical downfalls.

1. I'm fat. I'm not big boned, I'm not "kinda chubby," I'm fat.
2. I have weird skin: it's oily but flaky and very uneven in skin tone.
3. My hair is blah. It's not straight, it's not curly, it's way too thick for my own good.

Well, those are the cons. There are more, Lord knows there are more, but that's besides the point. Thing is, when I take my time and pay attention to what I'm doing, I can look damn good. Wanna know how? It's not that big of a secret. It boils down to one thing: confidence. Let's address each fault in turn.

1. So what if I'm fat? That DOES NOT mean I can't look sexy. I just need to dress for my body type and not simply choose clothing because it's "my style" or "in fashion at the moment." If that were the case, I'd be wearing leggings as pants (a. they are not pants and b. I sooo don't have the ass doe that). I credit my friend Jody for this next little tidbit: TRY EVERYTHING ON!!! Even if you don't think it'll look good, even (or especially, I should say) if you don't like it on the hanger, even if you normally would never look twice at it. Once you've tried on your items, be critical and don't take it personally if it doesn't look right. That just means you'll spend your money elsewhere. Bring a friend you trust to help you decide if it looks good or not: you might think something suits/doesn't suit you because it's what you always/never wear. Don't let the past dictate your fashion future. Here, I'm not saying you have to abandon your personal style! If you want to be goth/punk/preppy/whorish, go for it, but you still need to dress for your body. If, after trying everything on and not finding anything you like, don't get depressed. You need to search to find something nice. If you still want to spend money, go shoe or purse shopping :).

2. My skin. Ugh. I don't understand why it's so weird! Am I dehydrated? I don't think so, I drink a lot of water. Yet, it's flaky under and between my eyebrows and on my chin. Yet my cheeks, nose and forehead are oily. I've spent $1000+ on creams, lotions, cleansing milks and toners: nothing works. What can I do? Work with my best attributes. Firstly, I try not to use too much concealer and foundation, not because I don't need it but because it tends to emphasize the flaking. I make sure to moisturize well and just put on a touch of pressed powder. Then I decide what feature am I working with to make me pretty. For me, it's usually my eyelashes or my lips (or sometimes both). I've invested in two kinds of mascara, one of everyday use and for "in your face" lashes that I reserve for a night out. And that's it. Sometimes I add eyeliner, usually with my night out mascara. For my lips, I have a wide variety of glosses and lipsticks to fit my mood, style and event I'm attending.

3. My hair. It doesn't curl. It isn't straight. It's super thick. So instead of fighting my hair, I've decided to go with it. I dry it in sections (unless I'm going for a bride of Frankenstein type hairdo). After, I can choose to straighten it or leave it as is, it depends on my time and what I'm doing.

Point of the story: I dress to make ME look awesome, not to find some standard ideal of beauty. And how do I do that? By being confident. Sure, I don't always feel awesome everyday, but on the days I do, I make sure I look it. If you want to look awesome, follow my simple fashion advice. Be confident. The rest will follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment