Saturday, March 13, 2010

What movie defined your childhood?

I was born in 1986 (yes, I'm young, deal with it). A lot of my favourite movies were either made wayy before I was born like: Mary Poppins (1964) Blues Brothers (1980), Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) or films that I've embraced as a teen/adult: Fight Club (1999) Moulin Rouge (2001) The Hangover (2009). In terms of my favourite kids films, let's see, there's The Little Mermaid (1989) which I was completely obsessed with for about 3 years. There's also Aladdin (1992), which I adored, but always suspected it wasn't really for kids. What other kids movies were there? Well, a lot.

Disney seemed to have been coming out with a movie per year back in the 90s. There was The Lion King (1994), the live action 101 Dalmatians (1996), Hercules (1997)... all meh... Except one. Now, I didn't realize it at the time, but it truly was groundbreaking. It was a new way of sharing a story that had never been bseen before and is now being taken for granted. A story that involved love, yes, but not romantic. A love between a boy and his toys and the loyalty that those toys show the young boy. Have you guessed what film I'm talking about? One more hint? Okay: it came out in 1995.

That's right! It's Toy Story! Starring Tim Allen and Tom Hanks, this movie was revolutionary. According to the IMDB trivia page for the film, Toy Story was the first fully computer-generated full length film. Now a days, with Planet 51, Shrek, Finding Nemo and about 70 million other computer animated films, we tend to forget about CGI's humble beginnings: the first Toy Story was truly cutting-edge.

The reason I think I love this film so much is because I always thought my toys came to life when I wasn't looking. I would always rush into my room to try to "surprise" them and catch them in the act (of being alive). Of course, I never did catch them. I did, however, imagine that they were in a slightly different position than when I left them. I'm so glad I didn't know anyone like Sid, the creepy/punk toy torturer and main antagonist of the film. I wouldn't have had the heart to keep someone like that as a friend. Such horrible things, that made-up kid did to toys!

All this to say that I am super freaken excited for the new installment in the Toy Story series: Toy Story 3 coming out June 18, 2010. When I saw the full length preview (not just the teaser) before Alice in Wonderland earlier this month, I got chills. I got so excited, I almost cried! The new sequel deals with Andy growing up and his mother donating all his toys to a day care (I think). It seems that life in their new home is not a pleasant as the older toys have lead them to believe. Then, they realize that Andy misses them and decide to find their way back to him. Sounds lame? NOT AT ALL!

Really, I'm so so SO psyched!

(Embedding has been disabled on the trailer... so CLICK HERE to watch it)

And remember, you've got a friend in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment